Thursday, August 16, 2007

How to fly 220 Miles in a Hang Glider

Last Sunday Jeff O'Brien (OB1) set a new Utah flex wing open distance record by flying 220 miles from Heber City to somewhere near Lander, WY!!! He covered the distance in 5 hours, and was in the air a total of 7 hours and 20 minutes, climbing to as high as 17,500' MSL along the way! (If you were to drive from Heber to Lander you would travel over 400 miles!) Here is his GPS recorded flight track as viewed on Google Earth.


You can also read his full account on his 'blog at http://hang6.blogspot.com/

I have enjoyed flying with Jeff on a few occasions at the Short Divide. While in the air I tried to glean from his obviously intuitive flying abilities, but he usually left me & my Sport far behind in his wake! I am still looking forward to my first 50 or 100+ miler. I'm sure the day will come - as long as I am persistent, patient, and fly safely - so there will always be a "next time".

0 comments: