Sunday, September 16, 2007

Divide Glass

Cody and I met out at Short Divide on Saturday, as we were both jone'sin' for some airtime. Landon came along for company and...

Clover served as the "launch monitor".

There was a decent pre-frontal forecast, and conditions on launch were pretty good, blowing straight in at 14-16 mph, but it was occasionally cycling up and down, leaving some "holes" in the lift, making it challenging to bench up.

Nice launch, Cody!

Cody, right after launching.

After a little over an hour of nice but textured air time for both of us, we landed on the Box Elder side. Cody nailed his landing right in the slightly-uphill sweet-spot which makes it much easier in a light to no-winder. I must have caught a puff and overshot my target a bit, and found myself in an extended ground-effect in the slightly downhill sloping part of the LZ. I waited and waited, and thought for sure I would beak it, but I finally punched it out and up and there was just enough momentum for a stand-up landing. Cody said, "nice" - and I said, "No - lucky!"

We were breaking down around 5:30 when two guys in a white pick-up drove up with their gliders loaded through the slider window into the cab and resting on the tailgate of their truck. After they stopped, we realized it was the Box Elder Boys (Dave & Zane) heading for launch! Perfect timing for a lift back to our rides!

Cody and Dave helped "throw" Zane off first into the obviously mellowed glass-off conditions. Zane showed us old guys how to do a seriously healthy launch!

Way to get through that control bar!

Then Dave had a nice launch too.

Cody, Landon, Clover and I then left as they were still boating around...

in the sweet pre-sunset air!

When do we fly next?!

Airtime: 1 hour 21 minutes!

3 comments:

OB said...

Matt - I'm really gettin' into your blog. Great that you guys got some airtime on Sat. Also, can I commission you to build a tree house for me? That post was sweet. Cheers. OB

Matt S. said...

Jeff - You betcha - have hammer, will travel! As long as you tell me where to find some of those bell-bottoms and wide lapels!
Matt

MattsWife said...

Now.... this I gotta see. =)