Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Early Exits

Most of my postings are generally light-hearted and recreational or family-fun based. After a number of recent local and national events caused me to pause and reflect, I decided to write some thoughts which have been bouncing around in my head lately. You are, obviously, under no obligation to read or respond to this or any of my postings - but you are more than welcome to. Thank goodness this is a FREE country!!

Some people are born with great fanfare and depart with widespread ceremony and accolades, being immortalized in history for centuries. Some leave a legacy of evil, destruction and infamy. Others are remembered for marvelous inventions, advancements in science or medicine, tremendous feats and accomplishments, or a lifetime dedicated to service. Most people, however, seem to make their way through life coming and going with little publicity and generally unnoticed - other than by a few close friends and family members.


On September 11th, 2001 over 2,700 people lost their lives in a series of senseless, devastating acts of destruction. Regardless of your political, moral or religious views regarding this tragedy, the fact remains that this event has in some way affected the day to day life of nearly every American, either directly or indirectly. Our lives will never be the same - for better or for worse - as a result of this day's events.

Why do some people suffer such a sudden, untimely, seemingly unfair death and early departure from this life?

A couple of months ago, while working with some hazardous chemicals over his summer vacation, a well-liked local elementary school teacher suffered a lethal exposure and soon found out at the ER that he had only hours to live. At least he had time to gather his family around him and say goodbye.

Last month thousands of people flocked to Graceland in sweltering heat to remember "the king", thirty years after his death at age 42.

Nine coal miners recently perished in a cave-in accident, leaving behind spouses, children, and other family members.

A couple of weeks ago our neighbor's 30 year-old daughter, a wife and mother, died very unexpectedly during the night.

Last week Luciano Pavarotti died at the age of 71 after his battle with pancreatic cancer.

Hundreds of volunteers spent numerous days searching for a missing 22 year-old BYU student, only to find her body on a steep mountainside, having died as a result of an apparent hiking accident. A candlelight ceremony was held that night in her memory.

A few days ago, while playing ice hockey with family and friends, a 44 year-old local small businessman, husband & father died suddenly. He did not have the chance to say goodbye, but at least he was with his family.

This posting is not intended to be negative, depressing or morbid - but rather to serve as a reminder, mostly to myself, that life is way too short to waste any time holding on to feelings of resentment or anger, nursing a grudge, delaying forgiveness, or leaving something un-done while waiting for "someday" to arrive. I should not pass up any opportunity to tell and show my family that I love them. In the big scheme of things, a lot of things that I may lose sleep over, really don't matter! I believe that although some days are not easy and far from fun, life is meant to be enjoyed!



When I leave this earth, what will be my legacy? If my time to go happens to be today, will I have any regrets? Will I have left anything undone or unsaid? Regardless of one's beliefs in an afterlife, each one of us writes the story of our own life every passing moment of every day. Is one person's life of more value than another's? Many of life's questions, I do believe, may not be completely answered during our short time on earth.


Even if my passing doesn't make the national or world evening news, I can still make a difference in my own way. I can leave this world a little bit better than when I arrived!

Hopefully my life will not be defined by my mistakes - of which there are many - but rather by what I have accomplished, who I have become, and how I have affected those around me, in spite of my poor choices. Hopefully I will be remembered as a caring father, loving husband, respectable citizen, contributing community member, and honest employee. This is all just wishful thinking - unless I do the things now which will cause me to become this kind of person, as if tomorrow or "someday" will never arrive. For me, this is only possible if I do my best to "not sweat the small stuff" and focus on the things that really matter.

Some of these lessons took me decades to learn. Some of them I could only learn by passing through struggles, challenges, and difficulties. Such life-changing events serve to remind me just how short life is, and give me a new perspective and "fresh eyes". Such experiences have taught me to give thanks for each new day, each new experience, time with family and friends, sometimes each new moment.


I am also grateful for those who have sacrificed their lives and those currently serving to provide and defend the freedom which too often I take for granted.

1 comments:

dawnwiser said...

So true Matt! I know for a fact that you had a wonderful impact on me and so many others in our class in Sunnyside!