Friday, September 28, 2007

Super-Clover Flies Again!

I was able to get away from work early yesterday so Jordan, Clover (the Flying Dog) and I headed out to Short Divide for some late-season airtime! Upon arrival at launch conditions looked great: Straight in at 16-18 mph, a crisp 70 degrees, and a few high wispies.

Clover has nearly doubled in size since her maiden flight in March, so I had to re-size her harness. She may grow a couple of pounds more, but I made the harness adjustable to allow for that.



I set up, hooked in, hang-checked and walked out to launch.


K-9 Hang-check!


Conditions were still very good so once we were in the slot with wings level off we went! The cool fall air was much smoother than the summer heat, with very smooth-edged thermals or just wide areas of general lift. We quickly climbed to 500' over launch and then benched up over Clarkston Peak. I helped clover climb up onto my back, as she is more comfortable there than "dangling" alongside me!




We explored over Gunsight Peak and enjoyed the beautiful fall foliage below.





Clover was getting a bit chilled as we topped out at 8,500', so I radioed to Jordan that we were going over the back and to meet us at the Clarkston LZ. By now Clover had crawled up my back so she could use my helmet as a windbreak but still enjoy the view. Maybe she needs some goggles! She was a little unnerved by my playful wings & wangs as we descended in the buoyant air, but overall she did great and seemed right at home in the sky.




We came down for a decent landing not far from Jordan,



and then Clover supervised the glider breakdown, accounting for each and every batten.




Thanks Jordan-rama!





Airtime: 1 hour 14 minutes (x2!)

1 comments:

Cloudbase said...

Awesome Matt, Awesome!!