Thursday, February 14, 2008

What a Tease ("Uncle Already!")

Mother Nature is such a tease - sending us our January thaw the first week in February, only to dash our Springtime hopes with a blizzard yesterday! It was forecast to be a "fast-moving storm with about 2 inches of accumulation." It actually lasted from noon to about 8 pm, dumping about 6 inches, with 40-70 mph winds in the valleys resulting in blizzard-like conditions and drifted-in roads!

Interstate 84 northbound into Idaho was closed for hours, and many highways turned into impassable parking lots. Most community activities and events were cancelled Wednesday evening, as the snow consistency and temperature resulted in a 2" glazed layer of slushy ice on all of the roads which made it very difficult to start, turn, or stop safely.

Many drivers got a "crash course" in Newton's First Law of Motion.
Landons school bus was stuck for over an hour on the way home. And in one Utah County school district, the buses could not get through their routes, so they returned hundreds of elementary aged kids to school until the plows could catch up sometime in the early morning hours! Many of the kids ended up spending the night at school - what a raw deal that would be to be stuck at school on a snow-day!

Newspaper delivery this morning was a challenge, as all of the paths I had tracked into the snow between houses were filled in, leaving me the option of busting through 3 foot drifts on many sidewalks. Rather than take the time to plastic-bag every paper, I just found a dry spot on the porches and inside storm doors, which all added about fifteen minutes to the normal 25. But I'm NOT complaining or looking for sympathy - because I am the only one still willing to do our "family" paper route - even in these conditions!

I keep thinking that "this is the last time to shovel this winter" - and then another storm comes. I know, we need the snowpack for our reservoirs, but a little reprieve at least in the valleys would be nice! I think most of the small to medium reservoirs will fill this summer - although it will take a number of consecutive above average winters to bring Bear Lake and Lake Powell up to capacity.

There will definitely be some serious spring skiing this year - probably into Summer at some resorts!

I guess I'm just ready for some air time, seriously Jones'in, suffering from an acute case of Airtime Deficiency Syndrome - but I can be patient - I think. Cody et al are travelling to Hurricane/St. George this weekend to warm up and fly. I can't get away from work to join them, but I told Cody to at least think of me as he racks up a few hours ;-} Cody recently checked the road to Short Divide, and it will not be passable for a couple more weeks, if the thaw returns.

The forecast is calling for temperatures to warm into the 40's by Presidents Day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - My gosh! crazy! Stay safe all of you! Love, Mom

Paul said...

Boy, the snow sure makes for some beautiful pictures! Maybe you could export some of that white stuff to the Mid-Columbia region! Hope you get to fly soon.

Matt S. said...

At this point, you can HAVE IT! ;-]