Tuesday, March 4, 2008

1,111

I was not going to 'blog today, but my wife strongly suggested that I do - not to boast, but rather to get outside of my comfort zone and share with others. Today I passed a milestone, which oddly - or auspiciously enough, was number 1,111. Although the number was coincidental - and just happens to come right after 1,110 - the fact that I have reached it is by no means a result of luck, chance, or happenstance. It is only a result of doing my best to follow 12 simple steps, and accepting help from people around me. I am not expecting, wanting or seeking, recognition. I choose to use my first name only in this 'blog - not only for privacy, but also because anonymity is a spiritual foundation of recovery. I am just taking a moment to acknowledge this day.

In a recent meeting, the topic was showing gratitude for personal success - even the smallest progress or minor, personal victory. Looking for praise or accolades could be detrimental, but quietly recognizing a success and expressing gratitude can help me get through one more day on the path of recovery.


I suppose the purpose of this posting is simply to give thanks - not only to family and friends who may not even realize how much they have helped me, but also to a Higher Power. After all that I can do - He makes up the difference, and does for me that which I cannot do for myself, in a truly miraculous way.

If I can help someone else on their personal journey, I am more than happy and willing to share. If I can be of any help, please feel free to contact me and I will do what I can. Life is much too short to not open my mouth and reach out to those around me, and to enjoy each day in spite of occasional struggles and challenges -

Just for Today!

4 comments:

Keri said...

There.....now doesn't that feel betta?

Matt S. said...

Oh, YA! Much Betta!

Unknown said...

Ah wow - yipee for you and for the higher power in your life - I am so unbelievably grateful for your progress and for mine. I just realized quite recently that my higher power helped me through what was probably the toughest 2 months in my life and that there is no way that Dad and I could ever live apart. Somehow, through 48+years our lives have become so intermingled & intertwined that we are one. Forever and ever . Thanks for your help and thanks to my higher power too - Love, Mom

thekingbee said...

Here here my friend. You are an inspiration to us all, especially me!