Sunday, April 27, 2008

Baxter Ridge Buzzing

Yesterday was a post-frontal day, so I decided to go check out a new north facing flying site Cody has suggested called Baxter's Ridge. It is a wide open, short, 200' high ridge with a number of bumps, bowls and gullies. The landowner has provided walk-in only "sportsman" access. On this brisk, blue-sky spring day the wind was about 13-15 out of the north, with 10-15 red-tail hawks cruising the ridge overhead. I set up and had an uneventful launch, immediately getting about 100' over. The air was smooth, with a few small thermals releasing from the newly plowed fields below. The lift band was narrow, requiring me to get up close and personal with the ridge contours in an aerial ballet with all of the hawks! I topped out about 250' over as the lift lightened enough to flush me out to the bailout LZ. It is a nice little site, but I will probably only fly it on a slightly stronger north wind day.

I managed to take some in-flight video, which I edited into a mini-movie. The .flv resolution quality is a bit dissappointing - it looks much better playing on my home computer in the .wmv format. I'll work on figuring out a better format for 'bloggin' (any suggestions or ideas out there?) In the meantime, you get the idea!

Airtime: 15 minutes!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful flight Matt - thanks - I will try to get out to Pres Alsops and get him back onto your blog site to see this - I know he will love it but he just has a bit of trouble remembering how to get onto your blog. I think I put it in his favorites but it still confuses him. He says he still has dreams where he is flying - thanks again - mom

Keri said...

Love the video Matt! You did a nice job incorporating the music with the video. Nice touch and timing. It has a "Fly Away Home" moving feeling...... It was almost like I was there! =)

Paul said...

Matt,

I can sense your passion just watching the video. The quality looked pretty good to me. Be careful. Love, Paul

Landon said...

hi dad! that was a great video you made!

I love you Landon

Matt S. said...

Thanks buddy! Let's go for a tandem, co-pilot! Back atcha!