Monday, April 7, 2008

Josh goes Solo

Well, I suppose that 16 is a good age to get acquainted with motorcycle operation - since I started a bit younger than that!

So I took Josh out to the foothills not too far from home to do some "training" ("sure Dad, whatever you say, yeah right...") After sort of listening to my "words of wisdom" gleaned from personal experience, I let him drive with me as a passenger.

The toughest part for him was figuring out how to shift with a clutch. After a while he sort of got the hang of it, so I let him go "solo" around a small, controlled course, keeping it between 1st and 2nd gears only.


After about a half hour, he was looking a bit too casual, and getting a bit braver, so I decided to called it a day. By now his hands and forearms were well-fatigued from "first-timers grip". He actually did fairly well, without accident or incident - and couldn't seem to stop smiling!

0 comments: