Thursday, August 21, 2008

Git 'er Done!

Sometimes, especially after an incredible, memorable, PR type of flight, hang gliding makes us feel like we are Superman - like we are invincible and can do almost anything. And then we are brought back down to earth, as something reminds us that we are not superhuman - and that we are blessed with a finite number of days on this earth. Maybe a bad whack, a broken downtube, or a blown launch is that rude awakening. Sometimes something we read, see, or hear reminds us of our mortality. Occasionally a life-changing event shouts in your face and puts everything in perspective, but more often than not it is just a whisper from a friend or someone near to us, as we struggle through this earthly existence. Reaching milestones in age is one of those "whisperings" which reminds me that I am not getting any younger. Keri has been encouraging me to get in to the doctor for my "Man Checkup". I finally stopped putting it off and decided to "Git 'er Done!" My blood test results all came back good: PSA level of 0.3, overall cholesterol of 161, and good liver function. During my colonoscopy the doctor removed one polyp, which turned out to be non-precancerous. The tests were definitely inconvenient and a bit invasive, but a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

On August 9th, 2008 52 year-old Rob Kells passed away after a two-year battle with prostate cancer. Over the course of his life, Rob made countless contributions to the advancement of technology, safety, and good will of hang gliding, free flight and general aviation.

Upon being diagnosed, Rob became an advocate for prostate cancer awareness and prevention. http://www.willswing.com/flystrongInfo.asp

Sometimes, as I grow older and approach middle-age, I will think of my life in terms of "number of flying years left." When I think about it too long I can get discouraged by the fact that I will not live forever. I have decided that it is much more productive to take a "glass half-full" attitude, and make the most of every day that is laid before me. This becomes a bit of a challenge, as I seek to balance my time between my wife, boys, family time, job, church, community, personal, and of course - hang gliding! With this attitude, I seem to enjoy each day - even each moment - much more, and do all that I can to live a long, safe, healthy life.

*(Pic. by Jeff O'Brien over Mt. Timpanogas - Thanks Jeff!)
Yes, hang gliding does involve certain risks - but they are known and managed. We all take risks each day - driving to work, crossing the street, etc - but each risk brings a certain reward. In hang gliding I seek to manage and minimize those risks with well maintained equipment, flying within my skill level, and making generally conservative decisions. Some days this means making the choice to not fly - ensuring that I will live another day for another flight. The rewards of hang gliding are incredible, beyond words, or as other pilots have stated, ineffable!

Taking care of my health with some basic tests are a few things I can do to manage the risks of life, and increase the chances that I will be around to enjoy the rewards of many more years with family, friends, and flying! If you are a male, age 50 or over, or age 40 with any family history of colon cancer, a colonoscopy is recommended. Starting at age 40 you should also get a PSA test annually - it is not infallible, but it's a start! So don't wait any longer - life is too short - make that call - set the appointment - Git 'er Done!

4 comments:

Keri said...

Thanks for gettin' it done!

Matt S. said...

Oh Yeah! :-)

Simply Lavender said...

Morning Matt!
VERY NICE POST!
Thanks for sharing your insight, words of wisdom and encouragement with us.
And also from the rest of the Walker clan *thanks for gittin' 'er done!*

HUGS.

Angela said...

The glass is full....50% dihydrongen monoxide, 50% homogenous solution of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and argon. And some other stuff. Totally and completely full. Its learning to see it that way that is the trick. I imagine hang gliding is appropriate training for such vision. As is parenting. And recovering. I guess before long you are going to be able to tell me about something new in the glass, maybe something that causes it to "run over."

Oh yeah, that's right. You already told me. 23 years ago. Thanks for that!
-Your favorite Chem Teacher (I better be more favored than Hatch)