Saturday, March 21, 2009

First 2009 Airtime!

The anticipation of my first airtime of 2009 kept me up until about 11:30 the night before, and then woke me up at 04:30 in time to deliver the newspapers, load up, and drive to Cody's for an early departure: Destination, the South Side Point of the Mountain! The forecast called for building pre-frontal southerly winds, and the warmest day of the year nearing 70!

The South Side of the Point of the Mountain (http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/FlightParkbrochure.pdf) is a beautiful little State flight park (http://stateparks.utah.gov/stateparks/parks/flight-park/), which is great for some soothing airtime when your mountain launch is still snowed in. In fact, some of my first, fondest soaring memories were made here in the late 80's - but a lot has changed here since then.

Today it can be a bit of an air-bag obstacle course until the windspeed builds above about 15 mph. Such was the case this morning,
So we set up, hang-talked,

and watched John G running the parapente-pylon course in fine fashion! After setting up I realized that I had forgotten my nose cone, but I was able to use an old back up one I still had. (I later discovered that I had strategically stashed it in my harness pocket last November - dohh!) Finally at about 9:45 the windspeed reached 16 and it was definitely Hang-Time! Landon was ground-bound today, armed with our digital camera to document the day and work on his photography merit badge.

I got Clover all suited and harnessed up,

and John helped with our hang check. After a LONG 4 month winter hiatus, I was slightly nervous,

but it all came back just fine as I leaned forward and ran off into space, airborne once again! *(Thanks to John G. or his wife for the great pic!)

I let out a "Yeeeee-Haaaaaw" at the top of my lungs, and started workin' the mostly ridge-lift band, which seemed to top out at about 200' over launch. After 50 minutes I landed and let Clover off, and then relaunched into the building conditions. I skirted the RC area, surprised a red-tailed hawk, and started working the thermals that were now popping off, especially in the corner bowl area.

It was great sharing the air with Cody, Greg B, Burghe, John G, & Sam as we took turns marking the tops of the thermals - some of them close to 900' over, and exploring the hills to the East and neighborhood "thermal generators" to the South. Not long after noon, the air texture turned into rowdiness, and one by one we all top landed safely as the winds were now near 25 mph. I wanted to fly all day, but I knew the conditions would only get stronger, and I should not be too greedy! Besides, my off-season arms and shoulders were a bit tired and sore from all of the crankin' and bankin' - but I am NOT complaining!



The next to the last top-landing is me, the last one is Cody - very nice pause and touchdown!

We took our time breaking down - as Cody and Greg had to remind me how to dismantle my U2 (I'm slowly learning!). We recounted our shared-air experiences of the day, and eventually made it home in time for dinner, some family time, some 'bloggin', and a restful sleep filled with flying dreams... Thanks for the nice pic's and video, Landon - and thanks for the fun-flyin' day, Cody, et al.

Flights: 2, Airtime: 2 hours 5 minutes!

PS: Cody said the road to Short Divide is almost snow-free...I feel some more airtime coming soon!

2 comments:

Keri said...

Glad you found some precious air time. The video is very nice. See I do read blogs!

Unknown said...

beautiful air time. What was the temperture ? Does clover get cold?

Kaz has taken up Dad's habit of sitting in front of the heater - in fact sometimes they can be found sharing a heater space.
thanks for sharing the rides