Friday, July 2, 2010

Short Divide XC!

Friday's soaring forecast looked great, although it was also calling for SW winds 15-25 mph in the valleys. When Cody offered to drive chase vehicle, I got the afternoon off and was setting up by 1:30.

Photobucket
The wind was honkin' on launch, but I cautiously set up, hoping that it would mellow out a bit, while at the same time trying to convince myself that it was still within my comfort zone and abilities. Cody assisted as I walked out to launch, where conditions were still very strong - 30 mph gusting to 40 mph, and with a definite westerly component. I would not have considered launching in such strong conditions in my Sport, but the wider speed range of my U2 gave me confidence. I waited on launch about 15 minutes - much longer than I like. I finally said to Cody, "Alright, I know I can safely launch, but can my glider fly fast enough to penetrate these winds?!" Cody laughed and said "Yes, it can!" So at 14:11 I yelled "Clear", took two steps, and quickly went straight up! After a number of full-input turn corrections to keep me pointing into the wind, Cody radioed to me from below, "You're going backwards - pull more VG!!" Still climbing and fighting to keep my wings level, I grabbed the cord and pulled, allowing me to then begin making forward progress as I continued to climb.

A VG or "Variable Geometry" is a feature on most intermediate and advanced gliders which allows the pilot to pull a cord attached to a small series of enclosed pullies and adjust the glider performance. With the VG completely off, handling is greatly enhanced. With the VG on full, performance (ie speed and glide) are enhanced, but handling becomes much stiffer. This allows you to fine tune the glider's handling-performance ratio to your specific needs and conditions. The first 2 hours of this flight I had full VG and the bar stuffed (pulled in) with my arms locked straight to make forward progress. The problem with this (besides fatigue) is the glider control becomes more "squirrelly" at higher speeds, sometimes leading to "PIO's" or pilot induced oscillations. This gave me good practice at minimizing these oscillations with carefully measured control inputs.

Photobucket
I made it safely back to the flanks of Clarkston Peak, but the very Westerly wind produced mixed sink and lift, along with some obvious rotor turbulence behind each spine and gully. The above track image shows my zigzag flight as it took me three attempts to get around the corner of the main south facing spine on Clarston Peak. Each time I got close I would get bounced around in some scary air, until I turned back to the bowl to the East to climb and try again.

Photobucket
I finally made it safely around the corner, and then was easily able to climb out over Gunsight Peak.

Photobucket
I spent over an hour battling the winds aloft, but was never able to climb above 13,000 feet. During this time I clearly spoke with hang glider pilot "Dan" - who was at 12K over King Mountain, over 140 miles to the NW! Today I was prepared to fly cross country - with numerous layers of clothing, winter gloves, food, water and oxygen. So I finally radioed to Cody that I was starting oxygen and heading due north at 12,500 feet. With the westerly wind, I basically "crabbed" my way up the mountain range, keeping my ground track right over the top of ridgeline. Progress was a bit slow, but the lift was steady - without making one single turn.

Photobucket
I topped out at 14,129 just before crossing into Idaho airspace! I glanced down and saw a small white and red aircraft flying north - about 2,000' directly below me! I continued my straight line flight, pausing once or twice to turn in stronger lift. By now I was in zero to 200 down sink, so I just continued my northward course. I was finally able to allow the glider to fly closer to trim speed, as I felt the wind velocity at altitude decrease a bit. As I passed by the 20 mile mark I was just under 10K feet, but by now I knew I had Malad on glide. I decided to fly directly over Malad, and attempt to reach the lower face of the mountain just north of town. When I realized I was not going to reach that mountain, I began searching for a good landing field.

Photobucket
Just then my vario began chirping "up" again over a big circle irrigated field, so I was finally able to actually turn full 360 circles in my attempt to core the lift. Cody continued to encourage me from his chase truck to "stay with it" and keep climbing. I gained about 1,500', at which point the lift ended, so I pointed straight for that mountain, just as Cody advised me that the wind had shifted 180 degrees to the northeast! Well, that shut down any hope of climbing this mountain which was now on the lee-side, so I found a nice recently cut hay field that was uphill sloping into the wind! I set up nicely and came in for a no-step landing. Cody was right there, greeting me with a cold Gatorade!

Photobucket
It was not a record-setting flight or anything, but a decent start to the XC season. I learned quite a bit about flying in higher winds - basically that I can safely do it, but also that a day with lower winds would be less tiring and allow the thermals to stay together better and not get blown apart. Writing this posting the next day, my arms and shoulders are a bit sore - but that's OK - I'm still smiling!

Photobucket
Airtime: 2 hours 55 minutes. Miles: 27!

4 comments:

Paul said...

Awesome, Bro! Way to go. Must have made the afternoon off well worth it. So glad to read of your exciting adventure.

Unknown said...

Wow, Matt! Thanks for taking the time to write up your flight -- good stuff for us beginners!

Jeff

The Firths said...

Awesome boss! Looks like it was a great flight. Glad that you went.

Unknown said...

Wow - I guess you will never forget this day before 4th of July!
And and big thanks to guardian Cody for all the support and help!
It was beautiful Matt - Congratulations.
Mom