Saturday, November 24, 2007

A Sort of Homecoming

...And you hunger for the time
Time to heal, desire, time
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape...*

Friday I was feeling a bit lazy, still trying to digest Thanksgiving, thinking about going flying, when Cody called with the same idea! Based on the current conditions and the afternoon forecast, we were confident that a drive to the north side of the Point of the Mountain would be well worth it. After helping Keri get out Christmas decorations so she could deck the halls, I met Cody at the park & ride where we joined forces for the drive to SLC. While we talked HG most of the way there, I realized that it had been over four years since I had last flown the Point - in June of 2003...


...I recalled how in 1986 I paid my dues on the south side, repeatedly carrying my glider back up the training hill after countless launches, sled rides, and landings. Gradually, eventually, I began spending more time soaring in the smooth morning air than on the ground, as my hard work began to pay off! Up to this point I feared thermals and only flew within a few hours after sunrise or a couple hours before sunset.


I progressed to the north side, where my bump tolerance slowly increased. It was there in the Fall of '86 that I "cut my thermalling teeth" and learned how to actually turn a complete circle in lift and climb high enough to bench up to the higher mountain behind launch. From that day on, the sky has been the limit, and the rewards have been incredible. Today was a "sort of homecoming" on the north side!


*Many people who read this 'blog know the Point better than me - but for the benefit of those who are not familiar with it, here is a brief history and explanation: (Those who already know all of this can skip ahead to the less boring "good stuff" - Or you can skip ALL of the narrative and just look at the pretty pictures - after all, it IS, thankfully, a FREE Country!!)


The Point of the Mountain consists of the east/west oriented Traverse Mountains and the terrace-like bench formation at south end of the Salt Lake valley, which run perpendicular to the main Wasatch Front mountain range. It was created about 15,000 years ago as a result of ancient Lake Bonneville, which covered much of the Great Basin. The prevailing north wind caused lake currents to deposit gravel and sediment, resulting in a geological feature known as a "spit," which was extended and built up as lake levels rose and fell (evidence of the existence of global climate changes long before man began spewing hydrocarbons.)


The Point was frequently soared in the early 1900's by sailplane pilots. From 1965 to 1988, the original "Widowmaker" motorcycle hill climb competition was held on the north side on the face of Steep Mountain. It was discontinued after crowds, reaching 20,000 people, reportedly became too much of a public safety hazard. I remember, as a kid, watching the event on "Wide World of Sports". Although I dreamed of flying as a boy, I never imagined that the same location would allow me to actually live that dream.


With the birth and development of modern hang gliding, the Point was a natural location, and soon evolved into a hang gliding and paragliding mecca. Today it is a destination visited by pilots from all over the world coming to learn how to fly and advance their soaring and mountain flying skills.


The Point is a unique inland anomaly yielding such consistent soaring conditions so many days out of the year, generally reserved for coastal sites. This is the result of a daily wind pattern driven by the Great Salt Lake. During the night the lake water temperature becomes relatively warmer, causing the air to rise quicker than that which is over the surrounding land, resulting in a morning south breeze as the air rushes in to fill the void. During the day, as the surrounding land is warmed, the wind shifts to an "onshore" flow moving away from the lake, resulting in an afternoon north wind at the Point. This is the typical daily wind pattern on a "normal" high pressure day.


If there happens to be an approaching front, it will bring pre-frontal south winds, and post-frontal north winds, which may enhance the typical lake-effect winds. What this all means, is that as long as it isn't raining or snowing, either the south or the north side (or both) will be soarable on a majority of any given day!


When I first flew the Point in 1986 it was wide open and undeveloped - other than a few power lines and a couple of small gravel operations. As excavation gradually ate away at the bench, and neighborhoods began encroaching on launches and landing zones, it became apparent that measures must be taken to preserve the Point, or free flight would soon become a fading memory. Through the efforts of many, today both the south and north side of the Point have been preserved as designated flight parks, a legacy which will, hopefully, be here for many generations to come. http://www.uhgpga.org/



Friday, as Cody and I arrived at launch, there were a few other pilots setting up, with conditions looking great - a steady north wind of 15+ mph. It was a brisk, sunny, blue-sky day with miles of visibility. The sun took the edge off of the cold, upper 30 temps, but the wind chill sort of negated that effect. We met up with Greg B. and some of the other local pilots jones-in' for some holiday airtime. We wasted little time with set-up and pre-flight, after which I added a number layers clothing - on top of what I already had - stuffed hand warmers in my gloves, and hooked in. As I joined the small queue leading to the HG launch,



I watched Dr. Craig with a passenger launch and quickly climb high enough to bench up over Steep Mountain. Although the wind was slightly cross to the east, today looked like a no-brainer! My turn quickly came and once in position, I leaned through the bar and eagerly ran into thin air. Greg and Cody soon followed, and within a few minutes we were all boating around over the upper mountain,




looking straight down on launch. Conditions were moderately strong but smooth with some gentle thermals mixed in, keeping the bag-wings to a minimum. Cody and Greg took turns inching up to my wingtip for a photo-op.



On one occasion, Greg nearly put his wing tip in my face (a slight exaggeration) when I was not quite ready to take the picture. As a result it was poorly framed and a bit blurry, but you get the idea!



We then took turns venturing eastward into the gap toward Corner Canyon,



testing the lift for a potential out-and-return to Lone Peak. It was apparent that there was just not enough thermal activity to allow this trip today, so we returned over the Point,




and took turns finding the top of the lift and practicing wingovers in the magical, uncrowded air and humongous lift band.



As the shadows lengthened, I set the bar at minimum sink and pointed toward Lone Peak again, "just for fun!" There seemed to be more of a glass-off this time, judging from the seat of my pants,




along with my constant view over the back toward Mount Timpanogas.



I slowly flew over the golf course until I was nearly over the new temple under construction. At this point I new I could make it to the ridge leading up to Lone Peak, but I wasn't sure of the route, and it was only about 10 or 15 minutes until sunset. I decided to play it conservative,



and returned to the Point to set up a bench landing, knowing that there will be future opportunities to fly to Lone Peak.




The sun dipped behind the mountains as I fought down through the lift to set up my final approach for a somewhat tricky, but successful bench landing,



just in time for the full moon-rise over Lone Peak.
On the way home, Cody, Greg and I met again to discuss the anatomy of a wingover and review the days' adventures over fried rice and kung pao chicken. On the way home Cody and I talked launches & landing zones, speed to fly & thermal trigger theories. I agreed to not let four more years pass before I return again to the Point!

...Oh don't sorrow
No don't weep
For tonight, at last
I am coming home
I am coming home!

Airtime: 1 hour 52 minutes!

*U2: The Unforgettable Fire

0 comments: