Monday, December 3, 2007

Monday's Not So Bad...

...when it includes some air time!


With today's forecast south winds and clearing sky, I decided to head out to Short Divide in hopes of an extended December flight. At launch it was coming in nicely at 16-18 mph, but a bit westerly. It was mostly sunny and in the lower 40's - a bit warmer than the valley below due to a mild inversion.



I launched at 15:30 into the smooth off-season air, and began soaring the small launch ridge. I worked a few weak thermals, but could never get more than 200' over launch - not quite enough to bench up over Clarkston Peak.



So I relaxed and enjoyed the smooth ridge lift - mostly skimming just above the tree tops -


and taking in the view as the shadows soon lengthened.


I considered top landing,


but decided to land in the bail-out LZ below,


as the sun dipped behind the clouds,



and then set behind the ridge on the horizon.



It was a wonderful, rejuvenating December flight. As I was later reviewing my log book, I found that this makes the 17th consecutive calendar month in which I have had a 60 min+ flight over Short Divide! Air time is just one of many ways in which I have been truly blessed.



Air Time 1 Hour 10 Minutes!


1 comments:

MattsWife said...

Maffffew -- Beautiful touch with the pictures!! wow!