Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ground bound

I took the opportunity to try for my first airtime of the season, even though the forecast was for strong pre-frontal winds and mostly cloudy skies. Upon arrival at launch, my hopes were dashed by the obviously blown-out conditions of 30 mph winds, gusting to 38. I have flown 30 mph winds before, but only when they were smooth and steady. On this day the gust factor and lowering wave-like clouds convinced me that I was much better off to stay "on the ground, wishing I was in the air" rather than be "in the air, wishing I was on the ground." So I decided to make the most of the blustery afternoon, and went for an exploratory hike up the mountain, to check out potential "upper launches". While roaming along a high wind-blown corniced ridgeline, I suddenly came upon a big elk shed antler! I looked for the matching opposite side, but no such luck. Nonetheless, the fortuitous find caused my bummed-out lack of airtime attitude to flee as I made my way back to the pick-up.

Photobucket

The elk shed measures about 47" long, weighing just over 10 lbs. Keri was quite concerned about "that thing" being inside the house. I told her I would keep it in the garage, but apparently that's still too close for her comfort! It is a good thing that I have my Utah Antler Gathering Ethics Certificate. Yes, believe it or not you need a "license" to legally gather antler sheds between February 1st and April 15th. The reason is to protect the big game from any harassment induced stress after a long, hard winter. Late Winter and early Spring are critical periods for big game, who at this point may be barely surviving on what little fat reserves they have left. http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/09-02/shed_antler.php

Photobucket

Anyway, It was a fun afternoon - even if it was on the ground. I am still looking forward to my first flight of 2010. I guess I needed to learn a bit more patience, but I know it won't be long now - if only it would stop snowing!!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Landon - what is that growing out of your head - strange!!!
When you come here in July I will show you a head and rack that are huge and that deer?elk? was put in their freezer - It is huge! The husband wants to put it up in their new home - the wife, Joanne is pretty adement about where it should go and that is not inside the house! They are good friends of ours, we love them and will be sure to have to meet them and see the trophy!
Thanks for sharing that -